Since then, the area has been used for agricultural purposes, with orchards,
market-gardens and crops. We can still see some remains of the salt-works: where once
was a vast cove, one of the features of the isle, there is still a natural gas spring.
La Salina has a surface of 3.8 hectares and lies on the Northern Lagoon, in the
area of San Felice's former salt-works, on the homonymous canal.
The salt-works were exploited for many years until 1913, when they ceased to operate.
Today, on this deserted yet luscious isle there still exists a little natural gas spring.